Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Pre-workout "Shot"

That's right... shots before your workout... Lucky you!

As I have been experimenting with increased frequency and intensity workouts, I am also looking for ways to improve my performance and endurance.  It is hard enough to get myself to drive to the gym, let alone put on the old sneakers and squeeze into those yoga pants (which are supposed to be slimming... but totally are NOT).  I am tired and unmotivated to start... just like anyone else.  It isn't until I am half-way through my workout that I finally am energized and ready to go!

With this in mind, I was trying to think of ways to boost my energy and motivation early on so that I wanted to get to the gym... so that I felt like I had the energy to follow-through.

What I discovered...

Beets and carrots, hands down were the best pre-workout ingredients.  Why?
  1. Low calories, high in natural sugars (both) = An amazing initial energy boost
  2. Essential vitamins and minerals (both) = Maintained nutrient levels through workout
  3. Folic acid (beets) = Regeneration of new cells and speedy recovery/healing
  4. Betaine(beets)/boron (both) = Anti-depressant and mood booster
  5. Beta-carotene (both) = Anti-aging
  6. Vitamin A (both) = Body cleanser
I loved the feeling of a thrilling boost of energy, increased motivation due to a better mood and the feeling of having sustained energy throughout my workout.  Why not try this recipe before your next gym excursion?

Power Workout Red!
4 carrots
1 beet
1 lemon
1 package of raspberries (or other seasonal berry of choice)
1/4 tsp of cayenne powder (optional and to your liking... be careful!)

Feel the burn!

No comments:

Post a Comment