Yes, I sometimes splurge and indulge in a small cup of dark roast only to reap the aftermath of a burning
stomach and a mid-afternoon crash. Ugh!
Trying different things I've settled on the yummy, vibrant flavors of Chai tea. "How could that even compare," you ask?
Simple... Chai is a mixture of black tea and spices. This spicy blend not only invigorates the senses but also calms and soothes the digestive tract and stomach. The brewed tea, spices and sometimes milk alternative combine to provide the satisfaction of a cup of Joe without the side affects during those late months in pregnancy.
Here are a list of the spices and benefits... just to name a few!
- Fennel - high in phytonutrients and antioxidants that fight/prevent inflammation and cancer
- Anise - high in Schikimic Acid which is an anti-viral and immune booster
- Cardamom - good for digestion, detox and is an anti-inflammatory
- Clove - good for digestion, detox and is an anti-inflammatory
- Cinnamon - helps with muscle spasms/cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and overall digestion
- Ginger - relieves gastrointestinal distress amongst a laundry list of other digestive benefits
- Black pepper - reduces heartburn and indigestion by stimulating the digestive tract
- Black tea - antioxidant rich with a kick of energy
- Honey - antimicrobial and antioxidant while giving you an energy boost
- Milk alternative (coconut milk, almond milk, hemp milk...) - protein and energy
So... I suppose that the symptoms of the infamous "third trimester" don't have to get in the way of my morning cup of YUM. I just needed to tweak a few things and embrace a new and improved wake-up drink!