A study done by the University of Warwick in conjunction with Dartmouth College (2012) found that within a group of over 80,000 individuals, "Happiness and mental health rise in an approximately dose-response way with the number of daily portions of fruits and vegetables. While in some cases it rounds out at the recommended five per day, well-being appears to peak at seven."
What a testimony to the affects of diet on mental health and well-being! And what better way to start enhancing that diet to include adequate/increased portions of fresh produce...? JUICING!
Here are a few ingredients to consider that will have the highest and quickest mood-enhancing properties:
- Citrus - these fruits pack a bright and joyful flavor as well as an aroma that will naturally brighten mood
- Mango - the satisfying flavor and texture of this fruit make for a long lasting and sustained energy boost
- Lemon Balm - an herb known to brighten mood through steeping in hot water
- Ginger - helps to stimulate the body from the inside out, increasing blood flow, digestion and mood
- Chamomile - an herb known to calm the nerves and reduce anxiety through steeping in hot water
A simple juice combo for depression:
Be Happy Juice
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Mango (pitted)
- 2 Handfuls Spinach
- 1/4 cup steeped and cooled chamomile, ginger and lemon balm tea
Want some movement to go along with your juice? Try these 6 yoga poses to help open the body, mind and spirit to the happiness that awaits you!
- Child Pose
- Forward Bend
- Legs Up On Wall
- Cat Pose
- Back Bend
- Hand Stand
Have a HAPPY JUICING DAY!
As usual, please consult your physician or health care professional with questions or advice about current medications or affects.