ABSOLUTELY! (... keep reading)
Note this first, you are an adult... they are children... you have very different bodies, growing patterns, nutrient needs, digestive tracts, chemistry... and the list goes on. So keep the tips below in mind while introducing a safe and effective juice plan for both you and your children.
For all of you juicing parents out there, I commend you! It is not an easy feat to keep yourself fit and healthy while pulling double-shifts as a parent. So often we tend to put our child's health above our own until we begin to disappear from our own "nutritional radar."
The truth of the matter is that it is so much more difficult to take care of your child when you are in physical distress or diminished health. Being "out-of-shape," overweight (unhealthy), lethargic and full of toxins prevents you from not only being a fully effective parent but being a good example to your children. I've even noticed that when I'm not at optimum health, I tend to be more of a passive parent, leaning on television, toys and inside activities to entertain my child.
Doing things together, Parent and Child, is why we had kids in the first place... right?! Or at least it's why I love being a parent. There is nothing as captivating as watching a child discover a new talent or a new element... it leaves me speechless every time.
So... getting back to the question at hand (sorry, I digress...), "Can I give the same juice to my kids?"
The answer is still, YES! Below are some tips to take into consideration:
- Make sure the portion in small enough to be utilized as a "supplement" to their diet and NOT a "replacement" for other foods.
- Help expand their taste buds! Little by little, introduce different flavors into the mix. You will be surprised by how much children will LOVE all kinds of juice... even the "green-stuff!"
- Morning and lunch is a great time for juice. This helps ignite the brain and system for maximum activity and attention throughout the day.
- Nighttime tea is a great way to "wind down" at the end of the day. You yourself should have a glass yourself. Watch the both of you melt into a couch, sip your tea and read a chapter of Percy the Pig! My daughter has become accustomed to tea with a few drops of Stevia in her bottle before bed. This keeps her system clean and able to repair overnight vs. heavy drinks before bed.
- Note allergies and sensitivities.
- Stay organic... those little bodies can only take so much of the concentrated toxins. Keep it good, local and clean. Your child's body will thank you for it!
- Don't force it... let them enjoy and like it. Good experiences early will ensure they like it moving forward.
Here are some combos to try with your kids... feel free to make a pitcher the night before and have these as a fun breakfast or "take to school/work" drink!
- Pineapple - Carrot
- Cucumber - Apple
- Broccoli - Pineapple
- Spinach - Apple
Happy Momma, Poppa, Kiddo juicing!