Thursday, March 14, 2013

The "Master?"

Oh the infamous "Master Cleanse."  It has been branded and re-branded by independent juicers and corporations for years... and I mean years!

This so-called "master of all cleanses" was originally created by Stanley Burroughs in the 1940's.  You read that right... 1940's!  He went on to author The Master Cleanse which gave the details regarding the recipe and program to execute.  The ingredients are simple:
  1. Water
  2. Fresh lemon juice
  3. Grade B maple syrup
  4. Cayenne pepper
Users claim that they have been able to lose weight fast.  The results varied across dieters, body types, intake amounts, potency of each juice... etc.  

So... I thought, "I'm in the business of trying juice cleanses, I should probably check this out!"  I did a 2 day "Master Cleanse." 

This is what I found...

The first morning I felt great!  The juice tasted great and it invigorated me to a point where I didn't even want to drink coffee.  By that afternoon, I was feeling a bit light headed and nauseous   Now consider that I am an avid juicer, so I shouldn't be going through any major symptoms as my system is pretty "clean." By that night, I was so hungry I felt like I wanted to down an entire pizza!

I know the drill when trying a new cleanse, so I stuck to the plan, had a big cup of tea before bed and made the commitment to continue on the next day.  I woke up and had a big glass of the "lemonade."  It again, tasted good and was invigorating in the morning.  As the previous day predicted, I saw the same symptoms by the end of the day.

I did lose 2 lbs by the end of the second day, but I felt depleted and had an extreme hunger that I had a hard time satisfying... not a good result if you are looking to lose weight overtime.  

So, what did this tell me? 

This cleanse may allow you to lose weight quick, but it isn't sustaining.  It is not a cleanse you want to do for long periods of time or as your only, regular cleansing agent.  Why?  The simple truth, it doesn't sustain you nutritionally.  It may have all the makings of a fast cleanse, but it doesn't hold up over the long haul.  

My advice?

Give this a go as a morning tonic once in a while or even as a 2-3 day cleanse a couple or few times a year.  Just don't rely on this as a long term solution or as a long term cleanse.  The cleanse just doesn't have enough nutrients to sustain the human body or to create a healthier body.  This cleanse is ONLY for immediate, NOT sustained, weight loss or health. I'm not for or against this approach... I just want my followers to know what this cleanse is "good for" and what it "lacks!"

I'm available if you need help navigating this one... I've witnessed it first hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment