Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Juicing to Cure that Burn!

Heartburn is no joke.  That sharp pain followed by an intense burning deep in your chest can really interrupt your everyday life.  Now that I am in my 22nd week of pregnancy it seems that this is a daily battle!  It doesn't matter what I eat, discomfort follows.

Gastroesophageal reflux, commonly known as heartburn, is caused by acidic fumes/gasses from the stomach invading the esophagus.  This causes the esophagus to be injured and therefore feel very tender.  Normally the esophagus can eliminate excess gasses, however, when irritated by these acidic fumes, this reflux can cause enormous amounts of pain.  Especially when competing with a fetus!

What causes this horrible reaction?  

  • Stress
  • Overeating
  • Processed foods
  • Food allergies
  • Excess acidic foods
  • Medications
  • and more... 

So what am I doing differently to hinder my heartburn?  

I'm back on the juice!  Incorporating the following ingredients into my juicing regimen has helped tremendously.  Also, I've started eating a couple other herbs and foods to compliment the approach.

Juicing ingredients to try:

  • Carrots
  • Spinach
  • Kale
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Cabbage
  • Lemon
  • Beets
Foods/herbs to incorporate:
  • Avocado
  • Papaya
  • Lemongrass
Try my No More Burn Juice next time you feel the affects of heartburn... 
  • 1/2 cup brewed lemongrass tea (steeped and cooled)
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 1 bunch spinach
  • 1/4 head of cabbage (medium)
  • 1/2 lemon
  • If you need a little sweet, try a touch of honey or Stevia... note this may aggravate your digestion, so listen to your body and respond appropriately
Happy healing!



No comments:

Post a Comment