The look she gave me was priceless and it took everything in me not to laugh. She squinted those pretty brown eyes and said, "Berries." That little stinker! Alas... it was an all or nothing evening, and she ended up with nothing. The consequences of the two-year-old decision making cycle.
I've since gotten "smarter than a two-year-old" and found easier ways to hide those veggies. My favorite method is morning smoothies. Yes... the juicing-lady does make and drink smoothies too! Smoothies are a spectacular way for you and our younger generation to get benefits such as:
- Increased vitamin and mineral intake
- Increase fiber - equating to being full longer which ultimately reduces cravings and the need to "snack"
- Increased vegetable intake - drinking your veggies allows for greater volumes and thus greater benefits
- Sustained energy - the slow release of the proteins and sugars helps adults and children alike to have even and sustained energy; resulting in higher capacity brain functions, more efficient digestion and overall more even-kieled attitudes and hormone regulation
- Hydration - we all know we don't get enough water throughout the day which makes this a no-brainer
- Plus... they are quick, cheap and easy!
Here are some tips on making smoothies:
- Keep stocked on Honey/Vanilla Greek Yogurt - the taste is almost sinful and I have to pry the spoon away from my daughter every time we use it
- Bananas - sweet, high in potassium and easy to blend
- Frozen fruits - they are cheap and easy to keep around plus the frozen texture adds a yummy element to the smoothies
- Coconut and/or Almond milk - a way to regulate the texture while adding nutrients
- Fun drinking cups, spoons and straws - why not make this an event that everyone looks forward to!
Now for the "healthy stuff":
- Fresh Avocado - easy to hide due to it's mild flavor and smooth texture, this fruit adds the good oils and fats that everyone is so depleted of
- Fresh Spinach - another easy to hide veggie which also adds a fun green color to the mix
- Fresh Papaya - a unique flavor that helps with digestion and also a fun peachy color - we even dry this sometimes as alternatives to gummy-candy
- Fresh Pineapple - it's just yummy
Others that I like to throw in the mix:
- Coconut Meat - fantastic proteins, oils and nutrients, plus a yummy flavor
- Frozen or Fresh Peaches
- Broccoli - if you are feeling adventurous
Go forth and "Smoothie" my friends... all ages will thank you!